Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Make promises you can keep

How to Avoid Making Promises You Can't Keep.


It can be pretty difficult when you make a promise then realise ten minutes later that it's impossible to keep- and if you break promises, the results can make people find it hard to trust you again even with small things. So here is a guide on how to avoid making any promises you can't carry through.


1

Think about what you've been asked to do:
 if you've been asked to keep a secret, think about what might happen if you tell someone, or who you might end up telling. If you've been asked to do something for someone, think about whether you'd have time to fit in that activity, whether you'd have the energy, ability or money to do it, or what possible repercussions it could have for you. If you need a bit of time to consider this, don't worry, just politely ask if you could have a little while to think about it and check if you'll be able to and you'll get back to them soon.



2
If you realise that it wouldn't be possible for you to keep the promise, tell them simply. 
Tell them the truth: "I'm really sorry but I'd rather not hear your secret because I'm quite close to (insert name here) and I don't think I could stop myself telling them" or "I'm sorry but I don't think I can get your groceries for you as I'll be in a bit of a rush that day and I don't want to promise you I will and then forget."

3
Try to resolve the situation by suggesting other options for them:
 "I've heard so-and-so's a good listener and can keep secrets really well" or "I think so-and-so could give better advice" or "I'll ask so-and-so if they're going to the store anytime soon and maybe they could get them for you instead."


“I know it is a bad thing to break a promise, but I think now that it is a worse thing to let a promise break you.” 
― Jennifer Donnelly




No comments:

Post a Comment